December 13, 2017
Cardboard gift boxes are as much fun to build with as classic wooden blocks…stack a small one on the back of a bigger one, glue some buttons on the bottom edge, and voila! You have a car!
Let your kids pick out the wheel color and soup up the body with different colored washi tape. Add a paper tree to the top, and it becomes that magic moment of hauling the best part of Christmas home to the family!
What you need:
- 1 ½” x 2 ½” white jewelry box
- 1 ½” x 1 ¼” white ring box
- 4 medium green buttons
- 2 small yellow buttons
- 2 extra small red buttons
- ½” wide light blue washi tape
- ⅜” wide patterned tape
- 2/8” wide dark blue tape
- 1 sheet of two tone green paper
- 1 silver star sequin
- Approximately 18” string
- Hot Glue
- Glue together top and bottom of larger jewelry box and turn upside down. Glue top of ring box to the back end of larger box to create car body.
- Wrap bottom “bumper” of car in patterned tape, wrap skinny tape around top edge of the box and add rectangles of light blue tape to ring box for windows
- Glue four green buttons on sides of box for wheels, red buttons in back for tail lights and yellow buttons in front for headlights.
- Cut two 4” circles out of green paper. Fold the bottom section of one circle into a triangle then fold back and forth in the opposite direction to create a folded tree shape. Repeat with two other trees. Glue three trees together along their edges to create a pyramid shape. Glue piece of twig inside pyramid for a trunk.
- Glue tree to the top of car and add star to the point.
- Wrap string around car, knotting above tree and knotting again at the ends to create a hanging loop.