October 19, 2017
Turn a rainy day into a ray of sunshine!
This happy rainbow-raincloud costume is all about the head-gear—just add raincoat and boots. We thought about making pasta raindrops, but we got so excited when we saw how these rainbow penne strands transformed into lightening bolts when they were hung from the hat.
Scroll down below the photos for the how-to!
What you’ll need:
- Box of penne pasta
- Bag of pillow batting
- Adhesive spray
- Pirate, cowboy, or other big brimmed hat
- Fishing line
- Hot glue
- White straw
- Masking Tape
- Red, yellow, green, blue food dye
- Five resealable sandwich bags
- Hand sanitizer
- Wax Paper
- Yellow rain jacket
- Jean leggings
- Yellow rainboots
- Add one teaspoon of hand sanitizer and six drops of red food dye to a resealable bag.
- Pour approximately 20 pieces of penne into bag, shake until all are covered and then lay out on wax paper to dry.
- Repeat with yellow, orange, green, and blue dye and pasta.
- Spray the top of the hat, including brim, with adhesive and add one layer of batting. Spray again and add second layer of batting. Continue until you achieve the cloud shape you want.
- Once pasta is dry, thread onto fishing line creating three strands for each color – four noodles, six noodles, and eight noodles – leaving at least three inches of extra line .
- Use tape to evenly mark fifteen spots on the underside of the hat brim where the pasta rain will hang, leaving space at the front for your child’s face.
- Cut fifteen pieces of white straw, approximately ½” each, and hot-glue them in place of the tape marks.
- Thread the fishing line strands through the straws in alternating colors to create a rainbow hanging from the cloud.