August 11, 2015
You don’t have to spend a ton of cash or take up half the room with a great looking study space for your kids. This DIY kids’ desk is a great project to tackle before they need to it the books!
What you’ll need:
- two 12- or 14-inch L-shaped brackets
- 2 16″ x 36″ wood panels
- Elastic ribbon
- Screw eyes
- Elastic cord
- Paint both panels and let them dry.
- Mount both L-shaped brackets to the wall to create the desk panel. (Screw desk into the brackets for safety)
- To make the backboard of this desk, stretch elastic ribbon around a 16″ x 36″ wood board in a grid and staple to back. This is great for showing off an A+ or recent artwork.
- Insert two screw eyes into either side of the panel’s front (about 5 inches up from bottom).
- Thread elastic cord through the holes and knot on one side. This can hold an open textbook or notebook.
- Mount board using the appropriate screws for your wall.
Originally published in the September 2014 issue of Scholastic Parent & Child magazine.