October 11, 2017
Not sure if this happens to everyone, but when I look at pasta shapes in the grocery store aisle, all I can think of is what I can make with them. Not make as in cook (I mean who do you think I am?), but make as in craft! And when I look at farfalle, it’s obvious…they are butterflies begging for some antennae!
We decked out my daughter Sommer from head to toe in swarms of butterflies, but this costume will fly (pun intended) even if you use the store-bought wand that comes with the wings, or if you decide not to add to the shoes.
Scroll down for the DIY!
What you’ll need:
- Farfalle, elbow, and orecchiette pasta
- Thin wire
- Wire cutters
- Blue, pink, red, and yellow food dye
- Three resealable sandwich bags
- Hand sanitizer
- 1 1/2-inch wide ribbon
- Blue paint
- Matching blue washi tape
- Hot-glue gun
- Iridescent glitter paint
Fairy outfit suggestions
How to dye the pasta:
- Add one teaspoon of hand sanitizer to bag and six drops of pink dye.
- Pour in approximately 15 pieces of farfalle, 30 pieces of elbow pasta, and 10 pieces of orecchiette. Shake bag until all pieces are covered, and then lay on wax paper to dry.
- Repeat with orange dye and blue dye, using 6 drops per bag.
How to make the butterflies:
- Cut a piece of wire about 9 to 15 inches long and fold in half. Place the points of the wire behind pasta.
- With about 1/2-inch above the center of the farfalle, wrap wire around the center of the noodle on either side of the antennae.
- Twist the long wire loop to create butterfly “stem”.
- Paint glitter on the front of butterfly and let dry. Repeat steps to turn all pasta into butterflies.
Headband: Twist butterfly stems around headband and secure with a dot of hot-glue.
Wand: Paint dowel blue and let it dry. Attach butterfly stems to dowel by wrapping with matching tape. Repeat all around dowel top to create a butterfly swarm.
Shoes: Thread butterfly stems through lace holes and twist to secure.
Wings: Arrange pasta around edges of wings to create pattern and secure with hot glue.
Belt: Hot-glue pasta pieces to a piece of ribbon that can tie comfortably around child’s waist.
Dress: Arrange elbow pasta around collar to give a scalloped look and hot-glue to secure.
This post contains affiliate links!