Sometimes I forget when I sit down to watch an animated film with my kids that it’s not always about silly animals and pretty colors—that there are some top-shelf lessons about to be served. When we watched the first How to Train Your Dragon movie, I felt like I needed to feverishly take notes to remember all of the tidbits for explaining individuality, compassion, and courage to my kids. Now that the final chapter in the franchise, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden Worldis coming to theatres on February 22nd, I will have my pen and paper ready (or at least my notes app on)! There are all new adventures as we’re introduced to a new female dragon, Light Fury.
True to form, Oliver and Sommer came away from both of the first two How To Train Your Dragon movies with different take-aways…while Oliver cheered through the adventurous battle scenes, Sommer fell in love with Toothless and Hiccup, emulating their sweet, trusting relationship with her stuffed animals.
1. Measure the distance from your child’s wrist to the middle of her back. Cut a piece of wrapping paper or butcher paper to that width, with a height of 15 inches. Draw a dragon wing and cut it out.
2. Fold a piece of felt that’s as wide as your child’s arm span and 15 inches tall in half and pin the paper wing to the felt, making sure that the center lines up with the felt’s fold. Cut through both layers of felt and unfold.
3. Using your colored chalk, lightly draw lines from the top center of each wing down to the bottom points of the wing’s tips.
4. Hot-glue cord on top of the chalk lines and fold excess around to the back and glue to secure.
5. Paint felt with glitter paint and let dry.
6. Hot glue white hair ties to the end points of the wings; these will slip over child’s wrists.
7. Cut templates from wrapping paper to create a headpiece for Light Fury as shown. Pin templates to a piece of folded white felt and cut out two large and two small.
8. Fold white felt pieces over the headband and hot-glue to secure.
Once the wings are on wrists, use safety pins to attach the top middle edge to your child’s white shirt.
Wear this beautiful costume to theaters when How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World opens in theaters February 22! Get your tickets now http://unvrs.al/DragonsTix.
More about the movie:
From DreamWorks Animation comes a surprising tale about growing up, finding the courage to face the unknown…and how nothing can ever train you to let go. What began as an unlikely friendship between an adolescent Viking and a fearsome Night Fury dragon has become an epic adventure spanning their lives. Welcome to the most astonishing chapter of one of the most beloved animated franchises in film history: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World.
Now chief and ruler of Berk alongside Astrid, Hiccup has created a gloriously chaotic dragon utopia. When the sudden appearance of female Light Fury coincides with the darkest threat their village has ever faced, Hiccup and Toothless must leave the only home they’ve known and journey to a hidden world thought only to exist in myth. As their true destinies are revealed, dragon and rider will fight together—to the very ends of the Earth—to protect everything they’ve grown to treasure.